Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Restaurant Review: Milbank Pizza Hut

Since I started traveling more for my job I have visited many small Midwest towns and have eaten at many small cafes and local establishments. In some instances I have also visited local franchise restaurants. Even though these small towns often don't have up scale dining choices, it does not mean that the food is sub par.
I will be giving my two cents worth on the various restaurants (both franchise and local) that I visit.  Keep in mind that this is only my own opinion and based on my personal experiences.
When I arrive in a new town I usually scope out the dining choices and choose a franchise as my first experience.  Only after visiting with the residents will I venture out to some of the locally owned restaurants.  This way I can weed out some of the obvious "stinkers".  I have been spending a lot of time in Milbank,SD in the last few months and have visited pretty much all of the dining choices offered in town. 
One of the first places I stopped and ate was the local Pizza Hut.  I went there three times (actually two times, I will explain later).
On my first visit, as I walked in I noticed two of the staff outside in the front parking lot. They were fiddling around a car. I entered into a fairly empty restaurant. Usually not a good sign but I was already there.  I waited to be seated and noticed that there was more staff "working" than customers. Most of the staff were young with only one staff member who appeared to not be in high school. Most of the staff ignored me and went on their with the joking and goofing around. The elder staff member brought me to my table and asked if I wanted anything to drink. I order a beer and a glass of water. As she left I again looked around and noticed the other staff in the food prep area talking quite loudly about social events, boyfriends, etc. (I know I shouldn't be listening but it was SO quiet there and they were SO loud). As the socializing went on amongst the younger staff the older staff member (I assume she was the manager on duty) was busy making pizzas and answering the phone.  I turned my attention to the menu and thought about ordering a P'Zone (basically a calzone). Pizza Hut had been advertising them on TV quite a bit and I didn't feel like ordering a whole pizza for just me. I searched the menu for the P'Zone and didn't see them. I noticed that the younger staff members were wearing shirts that sported "P'Zone" on it so I thought that they must have them on the menu. I waited for about 10 minutes or so with my menu closed and no drinks. Then finally a young short haired blond waitress meanders over with a glass of water and my beer. She doesn't say a word and pulls a pad out and just looks at me. No smile. No words. Nothing. Blankness.  I ask if they have the P'Zones on the menu.  She replies "Yes". That it.Wow one word! Okay so I ask her what kind they have and she mumbles out the types and just looks at me. I order one and she scribbles it down and shuffles away. Alright don't get me wrong, I don't want to engage in lengthy discussion with every waiter/waitress but the basic formalities would be nice. "How are you?", "Would you like anything else?" or even "Thank you".  But I was lucky to get ten words out of her and that was only because I asked her a direct question about the menu.
So as I waited for my food to arrive I sat back and watched everything unfold. The manager prepared the food. The other staff sat back and visited and occasionally would scoot over the food prep area and snag some food to pop in their mouth. The manager also ran the cash register and answered the phone. I sat there and wondered why they were paying all this staff to stand around and goof off as only one person was working? About 10 minutes had passed and the young short haired blond brought my food out and dropped it off and without a word immediately left. The food was hot and tasted good. It was about what you would expect at any Pizza Hut anywhere. After eating I sat and waited for my bill. Nothing. Still socializing in a little group behind the cash register the young staff was oblivious to the customers (the few that were in there). So I walked up to the cash register to the manager and told I didn't have my bill yet. She looked around and presented me with a total to which I paid.  She didn't inquire if the food was satisfactory or about the service. I paid my bill and left.
My overall experience that night determined that I would not go there again.  I know, I said earlier that I went there three times.  I did go back for a lunch buffet with some of the locals (not my idea).  That experience was about the same result.  No one really waiting on us. The pizza buffet was dreadfully empty.  The pastas were almost empty and dry, there was maybe 4 slices of pizza which looked like they were on there from the night before and the salad portion was...lets say "not fresh".  We had a little of this and that and then had to go and search for a bill.  This lunch experience was confirmation that the earlier evening experience was no fluke.  Alright so now for the explanation on the third "attempt".  It was a cold rainy Monday night and the Monday Night Football game sported my team (Tennessee Titans vs Indianapolis Colts) so I wanted to have some buffalo wings and maybe some bread sticks while I watch the game. I was desperate. I called over to Pizza Hut to have it delivered. The young lady answering the phone informed me they were delivering tonight. What!?  Isn't home delivery one of Pizza Huts biggest marketing tools. The saddest part about it was the fact that I was staying right across the street.  I know I guess I could have ordered it then went and picked it up.  But the only reason I was willing to try them one more time was the fact that on this rainy cold Monday Night Football night I didn't want to go out, I wanted it delivered. Needless to say I did not order from them. I got in my car and went elsewhere and picked up some food to bring back. Three strikes and you are out!
Here are my grades.
Food Quality-------------2 out of 5
Although the food was not horrible it was not excellent or fresh. I would expect to find equal or better quality at any Pizza Hut.
Service Quality----------0.5 out of 5
Not the friendliest or welcoming staff I have ever seen. Needs huge improvement or direction from management.
Value--------------------2 out of 5
The price for the food is pretty average for what you get.
Overall------------------ 1.5 out of 5
The severe lack in quality of service really makes coming to this restaurant a bad experience. So unless you are really craving "Pizza Hut" pizza and don't care if you have bad service (or any service at all) then I would suggest not eating there.


No comments: