Thursday, November 6, 2008

Restaurant Review: Milbank Family Restaurant

I was looking for a change of pace in the usual fast food franchise restaurants (not that Milbank has a lot of them) so decided to try the Milbank Family Restaurant.

I arrived on a cold windy night for supper. As I entered I noticed that most of the clientele were elderly people. I waited for the hostess to seat me and she did without a long wait.  The young waitress was not far behind with a glass of water. She politely asked if I wanted anything to drink. I decided to stick with water. I looked over the menu offerings while soaking in the atmosphere in the restaurant. Typical small town family restaurant/cafe.  The waitresses were shuffling around to their tables making sure everyone was attended to.  The menu had a big variety of choices from breakfast meals, burgers, sandwiches, to full entrees. The big white board at the front of the restaurant listed the specials and the soups for the day. They also had a list of desserts and pies (? homemade).  Tired of the same old fair, I decided to order a breakfast meal, a couple of fried eggs, hash browns, sausage, and pancakes.

I waited for my meal to be prepared and observed the establishment. It was fairly busy but by no means a full house.  It appeared that they were pretty organized and efficient. The waitress and host were very friendly but not overly chatty. 
My meal arrived in short time and looked great.  I enjoyed the meal a lot. Everything was cooked correctly and hot. My only picky complaint was that the pancakes seemed too "buttery". I don't know if they cooked the pancakes on a flattop with some butter but it seemed too much. 

The waitress checked back a few times and topped off my water.  She did a nice job of being there just in case but not hovering.  I finished and ordered a slice of apple pie to go.  Once she brought me the pie and my bill I brought it to the cashier and paid. It was nice that the cashier asked how my meal tasted.  You don't seem to hear that anymore. They just take your money and your done.  They don't want to hear or risk hearing anything bad.  I had no complaints.

Later that evening I dove into the apple pie with whipped cream on it.  It was okay, not great like I expected.  I am curious if it is homemade or a frozen pie.  The crust reminded me of the frozen pies that you can buy in the grocery store and bake.

Overall I enjoyed my meal at the Milbank Family Restaurant.  The meal was good and the service was excellent. The only downer was the pie. I found it a good value for the food I received.  I look forward to going back to try an entree, sandwich or burger. 

Here are my grades.
Food Quality-------------3.5 out of 5
The food quality was good. The only issue was the pie didn't taste homemade (but I am not sure if it was advertised as that).
Service Quality----------4 out of 5
The staff was friendly and courteous. They were attentive but not smothering.
Value--------------------3 out of 5
The price for the food is a good value.
Overall------------------ 3.5 out of 5
The Milbank Family Restaurant is a family style restaurant that offers a variety of menu items. Based on my experience, I enjoyed my meal there. It was a quiet relaxing meal with good food and prompt service. I would recommend this restaurant for a good breakfast meal.

No comments: